Written by Liv Del Brocco LMSW-CC
Traveling solo as a woman is empowering and can also be intimidating, especially if it’s your first time doing so! Here are a few tips to feel more confident while traveling alone:
- Plan your itinerary ahead of time. What is your travel route? What sights are you planning to stop and see? Are any areas remote and without cell service? Make sure at least two people you know and trust have this itinerary before you depart.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Exploring national parks or other remote areas can sometimes mean limited access to fuel, vehicle mechanics or other utilities. Cell phones may unexpectedly die or break. Make sure you have a backup plan for any accidental hiccups and share it with the two trusted individuals you used from Step 1.
- Consider self-defense options. Many women feel safer when they travel with a protection tool, such as pepper spray. Do your research ahead of time. States and countries have varying laws regarding pepper spray and other self-defense items.
- Remain aware of your surroundings. Be aware of crowded public transportation and tourist areas, where you are at higher risk for encountering a pickpocket. Wear a bag or fanny pack to carry in front of your body and keep your hand over it while traveling in busy areas.
- Have fun and be confident! The more confident you look, the less others will bother you. Trust your instincts and ask questions when needed. Locals and other officials will be happy to point you in the right direction.
Travel safe, be confident in your abilities and don’t forget to snap a picture in your favorite Senita wear! #SenitaIRL