Written by Amy Will
Pregnancy is a great time to be active! A regular exercise routine can help you to be more comfortable during pregnancy, labor and even postpartum!
For most women, 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise is recommended most days of the week. Here are a few tips to get after it when you’re “sweating for two”!
- First, get the “OK” from your midwife or doctor before starting your exercise program. Generally, if you had an exercise routine before pregnancy, you may be able to continue similar activities to stay active. Some modified exercises and/or duration of exercise may be required as your pregnancy progresses.
- Activities to approach with care. Talk with your health provider & consider avoiding any exercise that requires lying flat on your back after the first trimester, scuba diving (decompression sickness risk for baby), contact sports, or activities that have potential fall risks (especially as your center of gravity changes).
- Find your supportive gear. This may very well consist of a comfy Senita sports bra and a maternity support belt. I used the same Gabrialla Maternity support belt for four pregnancies and it was wonderful for running and walking!
- Don’t forget the kegels! These are SO important. Kegel exercises can be done during pregnancy and after; and basically anytime, anywhere! To do Kegels, imagine you are sitting on a marble and tighten your pelvic muscles as if you're lifting the marble. Try it for three seconds at a time, then relax for a count of three.
- Warm up, cool down and stretch. Just like you would for your non-preggo exercise sessions.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Dehydration can cause preterm labor; so drink up and don’t forget to include electrolytes! Carrying a handheld water bottle on my runs was perfect for pregnancy and postpartum running. Also be mindful of overheating.
Consistent activity during pregnancy can greatly improve your quality of life during and after pregnancy, and has many health benefits! Consult with your doctor or midwife and find activities that you enjoy and help you feel your best!